Provide leadership and support of systems used by the Mechanical department at Union Pacific. The successful candidate will work with Mechanical department personnel and the UP Tech team (IT) to develop, maintain, and enhance systems that enable the safe, efficient, and reliable operations of locomotive and railcar assets. You will act as Product Owner of one or more Mechanical systems and guide projects within an Agile framework. You will also have direct control over internal Mechanical reporting systems that gauge the performance of the department and guide day-to-day operational decisions by Mechanical leadership. Additional responsibilities may include administering systems, providing direct support to system users, and participating in the key business processes of the department. Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills are required, as is experience with SQL (Oracle, Teradata, or SQL Server). Preference will be given to candidates with HTML, Coldfusion, and/or Tableau experience. Experience working with engineering or operating personnel is also desired.
Lead and facilitate continuous improvement project teams for Union Pacific Railroad’s Mechanical Department. This job is responsible for collaborating with staff and regional managers to create, develop, implement and sustain management processes and plans. The person in this role advises and educates field personnel on the use of continuous improvement techniques. This job works cross-functionally with superintendents, directors and managers to complete initiatives in an effort to support business growth, customer service, and increased system velocity and capacity.
- Lead the evaluation, problem solving and implementation process for continuous improvement initiatives
- Work with operational management to analyze operational issues, recommend corrective actions, assess potential impacts and implement solutions
- Establish understanding and enthusiasm for continuous improvement management processes within local work groups
- Act as a subject matter resource on continuous improvement methodologies, and provide orientation, education and training on continuous improvement initiatives to Mechanical Department employees
- Work cross-functionally with superintendents, directors and managers to develop and reinforce the use of continuous improvement methodologies
- Ensure procedures exist to sustain implemented improvements
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- 1 or more years of work experience OR participation in the Union Pacific Operations Management Training or Field Management Training (OMT/FMT) program
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, MIS, computer science, engineering or related field
- experienced in querying SQLServer, Oracle or Teradata
- experienced in writing reports in Tableau, Cold Fusion or Access
- 18 years of age or older