Those in this position will be required to assist in the repair/maintenance of existing and new bridge construction.
For this position, you will be required to become a Union Pacific certified driver during your probationary period. To become certified, you must meet the following Motor Vehicle and Medical Requirements:
1. Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
2. Have valid driver’s license
3. Have an acceptable driving record per your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
4. You may also be required to obtain your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) if you will be operating a vehicle(s) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or greater. If this is required, you will need to obtain your CDL during your probationary period.
Must meet the medical requirements (also called physical qualifications) for commercial motor vehicle drivers as specified by the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The FMCSA physical qualifications for drivers can be found on the FMCSA homepage. Health and Medical Services at Union Pacific Railroad will make the final determination on whether or not an individual meets the FMCSA medical qualifications, and may add additional medical requirements to assure the person can safety perform job tasks, with or without accommodation.
- Specific duties include welding and cutting on all steel components of the structures and driving and operating boom trucks including boom operations
- Other duties when not welding may include painting, framing and installation of bridge timbers; pile driving; masonry repairs to bridges (including concrete form construction and lay out and pouring and finishing concrete); and miscellaneous work related to construction and repair of culverts, timber and steel bridges and buildings
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s)
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within probationary period
- Experience in welding; Must be able to weld in the flat, vertical, and overhead positions. Applicants must be certified, or obtain certification within 45 days of hire, in SMAW Plate Welding per AWS D1.5 for 1/2″ plate
- Able to read and comprehend blueprints and welding symbols
- Able to read and comprehend regulations and instructions as well as possess good verbal communication skills
- Candidates for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. The number of candidates who pass the test and are granted an interview is based upon hiring needs. If you have taken this test for any of the jobs listed here and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample of the Workplace Practices Test.
- Candidates must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Able to perform physically strenuous work on a frequent basis
- Must be available to work any shift
- Agree to wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection where the company requires
- Willingness to work outside regardless of weather conditions
- Willingness to practice safe work habits
- Apply only to those locations where you are prepared to live and work
- Must be willing and able to work around large equipment such as railcars, locomotives and cranes
- 21 years of age or older
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- To the extent required by federal law and/or collective bargaining agreement, membership to the respective labor union is required. The union agreement dictates the pay rate and cannot be individually negotiated. Monthly dues are the responsibility of the employee.